Friday, June 21, 2013
Rain and Lightning
I had a pretty enlightening experience the other day. I was trying to get some mileage in for a race I was preparing to run. My treadmill got some things put into it by a helpful child and therefore was out of commission. The only other option was to run outside with the running stroller. After I dropped the boys of to the bus I got Laila and Rudy in the running stroller to go. As we went outside it started to poor. I was pretty frustrated. I just wanted to get the run I needed in and it had just taken me like 20 minutes to get both kids situated to go, plus I only had a small window of time before I had to pick up Noah from school and once I had him there would be no way to go. So I returned to the garage and unloaded both of them. We went inside and about an hour later it stopped raining. The sun had come out and there was a brake in the dark clouds. I was stoked. I threw the kids back in the stroller and off we went. As we approached the top of the lane the dark clouds started to move in quick and it started to rain just a tiny bit. I was determined to do my run and headed onto the road. I had a distinct feeling and heard in my mind. "Don't do it!" "It is going to be bad." I immediately dismissed it and thought, "I can make it, I just have to go really fast." So I went. I got a pretty far distance from our home and it started to rain really hard. Most times this wouldn't bother me but this time I had my two little children with me. They were getting drenched and cold. The lightning then started. It was loud and it seemed like it was hitting all around us. I was very scared at this point. I had no way of getting them out of the storm and protecting them. I had put them in this situation even though I had been warned. I thought back to the warning. "Don't do it" and I felt horrible. It didn't have to be this way. I didn't have to be in this situation but I had ignored it. I prayed and asked for forgiveness. Asked God that even though I had ignored Him could He please just protect my children until we could get home. I promised Him that I would pay attention a little closer, listen and obey even better. We made it home. I was very grateful. It made me realize that God wants to help us and warn us and keep us safe but if we don't listen to him he has no way to. I also thought if we don't listen to the smaller things how can God entrust us with larger things. I am going to do better. Be better at listening and following the promptings I receive and understand that God is in charge and will direct me in what I need to do.
I am grateful for experiences like that. Not for having to realize that I have a long long way to becoming a disciple but so I can stop and reevaluate how I am doing and the things I need to change and become better at.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment