In October Mike and I finally finished all that we had to do to become Foster parents. It was alot of classes and alot of paper work and interviews. I get it but it sure isn't easy becoming certified. In November we got to be a respite family for a 3 month old little baby boy named Patrick. He was the sweetest thing. The kids couldn't get enough of him and helped during the day like champs. The Foster mom had told us that he slept through the night, didn't barf, and basically every perfect baby scenario but he was like any normal baby that woke up several times in the night and barfed all over everyone. Waking up in the night has proven to be alot harder than it use to be. I felt like a zombie some of the days after a long night of feeding Patrick. We only had him for about a week and then he went home to his Foster mom. Laila had a really hard time after he left. She cried and cried about how much she missed him. Heck we all missed him. He sure was a sweet baby.
About a week before Christmas we got the call to take in a 2 year old named Levi and his baby sister Zailyn a 4 month old. Zailyn was at Riley's hospital in Indianapolis where they flew her because she had a fractured scull due to her father punching her in the head. I drove up to get her when she was released. When I saw her there I felt so much love for her. I just wanted to protect her and keep her safe. Mike held down the fort with all 6 of the others. He even took them to the ward Christmas party which deemed a crazy nightmare with 5 kids and a 2 year old foster kid. Levi was a cute, sweet, and crazy 2 year old. He never stopped until his head hit the pillow at night. I had forgotten how much work that age can be.
On Sunday Mike had to work but I decided I could take all 7 kids to church. I was impressed at how well we did. The kids were so good to help with Levi and hold the sweet baby girl. I was pretty proud that we all survived it in one piece. I realized that God was keeping His promise that he was going to help me be able to do this foster care thing.
As we got closer to Christmas time we thought we would have them through the holidays. There was no thought of how it would change what we did. Only thoughts of what we could do to make them have a good one. We had geared up to have them for awhile while things were sorted out with their mom.
One morning the social worker came by to get them for a visit with their mom and then about 30 minutes later she called to tell me to pack their things and that they were going to be with their grandparents. No good bye, no hug, just gone. That was a bit harder for me. So abrupt. I just wanted to keep that sweet baby until her head had healed so she could go back whole. I knew I wouldn't have her forever but I just wanted to make sure she was ok from her injury before she left our care.
I pray they are safe and happy. That someone is taking care of them and making sure they don't get hurt again. This has turned out to be harder than I thought, not that I thought it would be easy. These sweet children of God deserve so much more. I guess my part is to just love them the short while I get to have them.
My kids have been amazing in all of this. They don't even blink an eye at sharing space and time. They are so good and loving. That is the only reason this is all possible. We are just so blessed to have each one of our kids and we are blessed to have the chance to love some of God's special children.







No comments:
Post a Comment