After all the shock wore off it was time to go to work. There was so much to do before the date that Mike had to start his first day. The government gives you a whopping 30 days to relocate. That is a very difficult task when moving a family of 7. I spent some time talking to my sister in law Chrystie who's husband is in the military and so they move alot and then spent days looking at homes to rent. We were suppose to go to Maryland and about 2 weeks before we were suppose to be there they told us that the actually wanted Mike to take the spot at Center for Missing and Exploited Children in Alexandria, Virginia. There is was looking at houses again. It was horrible trying to make sure the kids had good schools but also making sure we were close to Mike's work so that he didn't have to have a horrible commute again. Oh and a yard. We had to have a yard for my kids. You can't take kids off an acre and a half and take them to a home without any yard. We finally settled on a home on Cool Spring Dr. in Alexandria. It is an older home with some problems but it fit the criteria and the budget.
Finding the home was just one of the hundred of things I had to do before we were to move. There were a bunch of things we had to fix in the house because we planned on renting it out plus packing what we needed along with putting what we didn't need into storage. It was a whirl wind of days and night filled with cleaning, packing, and getting us all ready to go. Mike had all the things at work to finish up on top of all the help I needed from him at home after work. I think towards the end we just wanted to go so that things could slow down again for awhile. We were exhausted.
On November 3rd, the day before we had to move we had tons of help to get our stuff to the storage unit as well as into the 16 foot truck we rented. I also had Kelly and Carrie to help me finish up the cleaning so that the house was left just right when we left. We had our last good byes from people that had become just like family. It was less than pleasant and just like everything the day in November that we were suppose to move came and we headed off together to start our new adventure as a family.
I left earlier in the van while Mike finished everything up and drove slower in the moving truck with the red car attached. The sight of my home and neighbors in the windows as we pulled away was horrible but by the end of the lane I was was ready to go and do the next thing that God had for us. I knew He would be looking out for us and I knew that he would be there to make sure we were not only ok but better off for having done it.
The drive was less than pleasant. We were packed in the van with no place to move. It took us about 11 hours and finally we drove up to what would be our new house for the next 18 months. I knew it wasn't going to be as great as our house in Indiana but wow was it a sight for sore eyes. It was old, small, broken and very dirty. The kids that were with me all just kind of hung their heads. I could tell that they were less than excited. Mike's drive was horrible. The truck was so long and big that he had to move pretty slowly and the roads especially near Washington were very narrow. I am so glad that he was driving it and not me. I may have had a heart attack. I'll never forget Mike seeing the home for the first time. He hated it and so did Wiley and Noah who had just shown up with him. I was scared that we would be miserable for the year and a half we had to be here.
For the next few days we tried to make this house our home. It was hard and no one really liked it. I think the kids could feel the stress from Mike and I which we really tried to hide but the fact was that we both were a bit stressed. There is always so much to do when you first move. Mike was being thrown into a very different job, being a supervisor over some people that help work cases of indecent images. He has spent alot of time working cases of child prostitution but had not worked much of the images side. That is when we realized why he had needed to spend those 30 days in Maryland working in those type of cases. He needed that time to start to understand those cases so that when he got this new job he would know what to do.
Here we are 3 months later and we are doing fine. The kids are in school, getting good grades, making friends and getting to see a whole lot of great things out here. We are trying to make sure that we get to have a ton of time as a family doing things that we just couldn't do while Mike was the Bishop. Mike is really enjoying his job and has been given tons of things that he is over but is doing a great job managing it all. Over all I think we are all doing fine. We sitll miss our friends, our ward and our home but I have a feeling we might just have a great time here in Virginia.








No comments:
Post a Comment